Sometimes things just don't work out the way I envision them. Friday night was our date night. We went to the
Mori Tower in
Roppongi Hills. The
Mori Tower is a 238 m (781 ft), 54-story high-rise building. It has an art museum and observatory on the top floor. It had a great view of Tokyo Tower. Art museum was not that great. The art changes every few months. Right now, it's British contemporary art and most of is was very weird. Like, walking through the inside of a cow. I was a bit bummed that night when our camera battery died and when we got to the roof top (higher than the observatory) 10 minutes after it had closed. If only we hadn't of spent so much time in the art museum! oh well...

Saturday we
tried to follow Tour 6 in my
Kids Trips in Tokyo book, titled, Cycle to
Jindaiji. Tried is the key word there. It was essentially, a long bike ride along the
Nogawa River that ended up at the
Jindaiji Temple, Japan's second oldest temple. Our problem was, the kids were a bit too small for the entire thing. After 50 minutes of bike riding we were only 3/4 of the way there and it was starting to rain. So we turned the bikes around and headed back.
Then, it happened. the crash. Trent's leg brushed up against a pole, causing him to lose his balance. Just before he was about to crash, he instinctively reached out and grabbed the railing that lined the bike path. Not a good thing to do while you're on a moving bike. His bike jerked out from underneath him and his face slammed into the railing. I ran to him, expecting to see blood all over and missing teeth. I had been riding right behind him and saw the whole thing. But it was his cheek that hit--it was already all purple. I wondered it he had cracked his cheekbone and he was complaining of a headache. We did a quick assessment, (follow my finger with your eyes etc.) and he seemed to be fine. But we had a problem. We were still a good 30 minutes away from the bike rental store, and then another 45 minutes away from home by train. and it was raining. Poor Trent was so brave. He finished the bike ride even though his cheek was hurting him and then we took him home to pamper him the rest of the day. Popsicles, and tons of Nintendo
DS and Pokemon card time. He went to school today proud to show off his huge cheek bruise.
I think for smaller kids, this was way too much to do in one day. The bike ride and visit to
Jindaiji Temple should be two separate day trips. So we'll have to make it to the temple another time.

I was envisioning a huge,
gorgeous river, but it was more like a creek! Tons of kids were in the river catching who knows what--tadpoles maybe?

Jacob was so tired, he actually leaned back and fell asleep against me for the last few minutes of the bike ride. I always see kids asleep sitting upright in their bike chairs. I have no idea how they can sleep like that!
3 comments:
Wow! I don't think I could have made it that far, I am not in shape.
Jacob is so cute asleep on the bike. You and the kids are such adventurers! I'm not sure I'd be able to tackle all of the things you do-- you're amazing!
Hi, just chanced on your blog by accident. Our family (with 2 boys ages 4 & 6) will be visiting Tokyo for the first time in June and our boys are huge Pokemon fans. Are you able to give me some Pokemon tips?
Post a Comment