Monday, May 5, 2008

Children's Day

May 5th is Children's Day in Japan, also known as Boys' Festival. It's a day to celebrate the healthy growth of children. Families with boys fly carp streamers outside their homes. The carp is thought to be a lucky fish.

Last week I went with Trent's kindergarten class on a fieldtrip to the farm. I loved these carp streamers flying at the entrance. Trent is sitting on the front row, in the middle, wearing a white shirt.

ice cream from the working dairy on the farm.
boys also display their samarai dolls or helpmet replicas just like the girls display their dolls on Girl's Day. This set was on display at school.
Happy Children's Day to everyone!!

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Boys Day was a big thing in Hawaii when Norm was growing up. I'll have to show him your post.

Hillary said...

They seem to have a holiday for everything! Its fun to hear about.