Saturday we visited the washi paper store--one of my most favorite places in Tokyo. Here's a little picture tour.
In the basement are the bins of 6x6 inch papers for only 31 yen each. There's got to be over 100 different patterns, and everytime I go, it's different.
Second floor--looks like a fabric store with all these bolts, right? but this isn't fabric--it's still washi paper. They come in huge sheets!
First floor--shelves of washi craft ideas. You buy the kit that you like, then go upstairs and pick out your washi paper. You can take it home, or stay at the store and workers will help you do your project. I've never done this, though, because it's all in Japanese. Someday I just might have to drag Ryan down with me to be my translator. Future date night??
As you can tell, I am obssessed with washi paper. What can you do with it? Basically any craft imaginable. I've done washi cards, last week had an enrichment class where we made washi floral center pieces and my ultimate favorite: washi eggs! I love to make these. I work on them after the kids are in bed, in front of the TV. This is a black and gold set I just finished. They look best displayed in a glass bowl.
and just for fun, and to see if anyone is still reading this, I would love to make a set of eight washi eggs for the first three people to respond to this post! and give/mail it to you when I get back to the US in July. Please specify if you would like a blue set, (the most popular) or a multi color set. Here are the rules:
1. if I've already given you a set of washi eggs, you are exempt.
2. You have to be an actual friend of mine. you never know who's reading your blog!
3. My Japan friends are exempt also--you can make your own!
14 comments:
Do old high school friends count? :) I think the eggs look amazing. In Ecuador, they don't make the eggs out of paper--they carve them out of tagua (the ivory nut). They are beautiful, too bad I can't carve a set for my friends! :)
Do I count?! Those are so neat!! I would love even just one!! If I do, I'd love a multi-colored one to add to my collection of artifacts from around the world. Since I don't think I'll make it to Japan in the next 3 weeks (thats when I leave for good), it would be neat if I could get one from you =]]
I wish I had found a neat Chinese arts and crafts activity to keep me busy while I lived here. You are embrasing the Japanese culture so much more then I have embraced the Chinese cuture! Good for you guys!!!
-Andrea
I saw that there were already 3 comments and I was going to post a :(, but then I saw that a comment was deleted :) Does family count as your friend? These eggs are gorgeous! I can't believe that they have all that paper on bolts like fabric. That's so cool! Hopefully we can get to Japan before you leave. I would love to see all this cool stuff!
Those are beautiful. Too bad for me the weather here warmed up for a week and I've spent all my spare time gardening and missed this post! Love the washi paper. We have a small package of it from my SIL who lives in Hawaii still, but I can't imagine a whole store of it, including BOLTs of it!! There are so many beautiful patterns.
Oh, man! I totally missed out because I haven't checked people's blogs in a few weeks. They are so cool though.
Hi,
Was looking for washi paper stores in Tokyo and came across your blog. Would you mind letting me know which washi store this is? We'll be in Tokyo in September and would love to visit the store. Thanks!
Will be travelling to Japan in November with my sister and we are both very interested in this washi store. Could someone please give me the details of where to find this store, that would be greatly appreciated!
Jill, I found this post about fabric eggs similar to your washi eggs on a friends blog that linked me here:
http://adayinthelifeofthechristensons.blogspot.com/2009/03/tutorial-fabric-covered-eggs.html
Is this the same technique you used with the washi paper? I'm curious how you did yours -i was thinking i might try it with thin paper (maybe cute napkins) or something with the kids for a craft project. Also, what did YOU use for eggs?
Just curious.
We are leaving on Monday for Tokyo. Will you please tell me where this store is????
Thank you.
Jill:
I currently live in Beppu and will be in Tokyo in May. Where is the washi store? Thank you. Helen
Hello! I love washi paper. Can you let me know where this store is?
Thanks!
Hi! I was looking for washi paper store in Tokyo so I found blog.
Will you please tell me where this store is?
Thank you!
Cause Jill don't say nothing i'm gonna to tell you something. I'll go to japan next summer and I found in Internet a very big washipaper store in Nagoya. It's amazing: https://www.kaminoondo.co.jp/goods/index/122/index.html
It's in japanesse but you can translate with http://tradukka.com
Is the best i found, I make washi nyngio (paper dolls)
Enjoy it ;D
Post a Comment