Sunday, December 11, 2011

cranberry bars

I just finished participating in an online blogger cookie exchange and it was so fun! I sent out Cranberry bars.

Here's my recipe, from my mother who got it from my Aunt Barbara. These are SO goood! the tangy cranberry blends together so nicely with the very sweet shortbread-like cookie. and check out the ingredient list. These are SO simple and easy to make. I have made them 5 times in the past 2 weeks.

Cranberry Bars

1/2 C butter
1 1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 C flour
1 C chopped pecans
1 1/2 C whole, fresh cranberries.

Cream butter, sugar and eggs. Add flour and nuts. Carefully stir in cranberries. bake at 350 for 35 minutes in a 9x13 greased and floured pan.





I mailed these cranberry bars to three people and received 3 yummy packages from 3 others. My bars went out to New York, Virginia and South Carolina. And we received cookies from Texas, New Jersey and Minnesota. It was fun for the kids to wait each day for a cookie package and try to guess which state it would be coming from. We LOVED the peanut butter toffee cookies, cinnamon pinwheels and tricolor cookies we received. I will definitely be doing this again next year, too!



these are the tricolor cookies that just came yesterday. so beautifully wrapped.




7 comments:

Kirk Klippel said...

Jill, I can't believe this...I make a Cranberry Cake that is somewhat similar to this and I've never seen anything quite like it until now! Here is the recipe, you'll love it.

Cream:
1/4c butter
1 egg
1 1/4c sugar

Add:
4tsp baking powder
shake of salt

Alternate:
1 1/4c milk
2 1/2c flour

Sauce:
1 1/2c sugar
3/4c butter
1 1/2 T vinegar
1 1/4 T flour
3/4 c half and half
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Heat until bubbly. Boil 1 min. Serve.

Jill, this cake is awesome. When you serve the sauce, you serve it over each slice individually, don't pour it over the whole cake. You will love it and I bet you will have tried nothing like it before, well except maybe for your cranberry bars; the tart sauce is so good with the sweet cake.....Love, Shauna

Kirk Klippel said...

Jill, cook the cake at 350 for about 35 minutes. Make it! You'll love it!!!

Jill said...

wait...shauna, where do the cranberries come in?

Jill said...

wait...shauna, where do the cranberries come in?

Anonymous said...

When i made these they were very thin. Was 13/ by 9 too big?

Kirk Klippel said...

Jill! Yes, the cranberries would be helpful. At the end mix in 4 c. cranberries, fresh or frozen. Bake at 350 in a 9x13 for about 40 min. Serve each slice with generous amount of sauce and whipped cream.

Enjoy. Love always,
Shauna

Lisa Brown said...

What a fun idea!!