Wednesday, May 7, 2008

shabu-shabu adventures

Sunday Ryan decided to cook shabu-shabu for us at home. It's cooked right at the dinner table. You sit around a pot of boiling water, and swish your meat/vegetables around till cooked. Then use dipping sauces. The kids really liked it.The swishing sound is where the dish gets its name. Shabu-shabu roughly translates to "swish-swish".
and now for the horrible part--the burner scorched the middle of our dining room table! it's ruined! I didn't even think to put something under the burner we were using. I am really sad. I guess I will always have to have a tablecloth on.
The next day was a national holiday (children's day) but the kids still had school and Ryan didn't have work. So Ryan, Jake and I set off to try out a shabu-shabu restaurant in Shibuya. It was really great. Jake loves playing with chopsticks, as you can see...
and I am finally able to use chopsticks (sort of). When we moved here I couldn't use them at all. After a few frustrating tries, I gave up. My excuse was, "I'm left handed!". But now I'm determined to learn how to use them. It would be embarrassing to someday say I lived in Japan for a few years and I still don't know how to use chopsticks.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm sorry about your table. At least you guys were having fun when it happened :) I can't believe how many holidays you guys have over there. I bet it's fun though.

Lisa Brown said...

That is so sad about your table! What a cool thing to have for dinner though - it reminds me of something my brother-in-law tom would do :).