Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mt. Fuji

fuji is so much prettier with snow on the top. here's a picture I pulled off the internet.and then this is me on Saturday, getting ready to hike.
Hiking Mt. Fuji was one of the hardest things I've ever done! But I'm glad I did it and happy that we made it to the top. Elevation is 12,888 feet

I hiked with a group of about 50 people, all associated with the boy scouts. there were 3 groups of women and a lot of scouts. Ryan stayed home with the kids and I went with a few of my friends. we had to check in and then out as we came off the mountain.


every so often, there would be a random shrine. This one had candy sprinkled all over. We weren't sure if we were supposed to take a piece for luck or maybe the opposite, take a piece and disturb the candy gods...interesting.


There are 10 stations. 10 being the top. this is me at the 8th station. almost there!


These walking sticks were souvenirs and also really handy. At each station you reached, you would have your stick stamped.



Made it to the top in just under 6 hours! This is me with the crater behind me. (Fuji is a volcano)

Angela, Margaret and I were hiking buddies. This is a shrine at the top


What's up there on top of Mt. Fuji? A gift shop, restaurant and music playing. we listened to the Beatles as we ate. Here's Margaret enjoying her noodles!

Lots of people were sleeping

a few people even carried up little pots and were making coffee at the top!

This is at the top, looking down at all the hikers. It took us 3 hours to get down and I have been REALLY sore. I also hurt my back on the way up so have been taking it really easy. It was really cold at the top. wasn't expecting that, but was glad I didn't have any problems with air sickness. There were a few sick people that day. and it was also interesting going down, hiking through gritty black/red dirt which was really volcanic pumice I think. it was like skiing down dirt. I felt so filthy when I finally made it to the bottom. Came home, took a hot shower and A LOT of Ibuprofen! fun times.

8 comments:

kelly ferg said...

You are so my new hero!!!!! What a wonderful accomplishment and a great memory of your time in Japan! I love love love how you really are making the most of being in a new country!!

Lisa Brown said...

That is so awesome!!! I'll bet you are glad you didn't have the snow to hike through like Ryan and your dad did. What an amazing thing you can say that you have done now!

Tabitha and Kelly said...

WOW Jill! I am so proud of you. That is such an accomplishment, and even though there was some pain, I am sure you are happy that you did it. Way to go!!!

Birding is Fun! said...

Just wondering about the picture with the sign-in sign. Is it really still Boy Scouts of America (BSA) in Japan or is it BSJ?

Ambroisine said...

WOw it's beautiful I'd love to go to Mt Fuji ! I have a question, do you know a nice washi shop in tokyo plz ?

Jill said...

A good store is - "Sakura Horikiri"
1-25-3 Yanagibashi, Taito-ku, Tokyo
03-3864-1773
It's in Asakusabashi.

Ambroisine said...

Great thx ! I enjoy a lot reading your blog :)

Wishes and Books said...

You go, girl! That is awesome!