Thursday, April 28, 2011

exciting updates

hello out here! It's been a long time since I've blogged, but here's a quick update on what's going on with us.

we spent about a month in Idaho with my parents after the earthquake and had a great "evacuation vacation." The kids did virtual learning, which meant that their teachers emailed them assignments. They would work 1-2 hours each morning and then we'd have the rest of the day to play. separate post about this trip coming soon.

Ryan was working from Hong Kong, and eventually was let back into Tokyo. We were so excited to be back together as a family after being apart for so long.

Everything is totally back to normal in Tokyo. Many of our friends and family were worried about our decision to return to Tokyo. "You're going back? Why?" Well, because this is our home! and we really wanted to have some closure and be able to say goodbye before our upcoming move and let the kids finish out the school year. So,

No, we were not the only people on the airplane to Tokyo. it was full, and the airport was just as crowded as ever.

No, we are not worried about radiation, the food or tap water. It's fine. there are no shortages or limits on what you can buy.


No, we did not get to see the cherry blossoms. missed them by a few days, which was really sad!! but in light of recent events, if that's the saddest thing that's happened to me, I consider myself very lucky.


and Yes, we still have aftershocks. about one every 2 days. it keeps us on our toes!


The one different thing, is that everyone is trying really hard to conserve electricity, so trains and stores are using half their lights etc.

We also are glad to be so close to everything going on and able to help out in any way possible. We have been able to donate clothes etc. to people who drive trucks up to Sendai on the weekends (from Tokyo) and pass them out to people in need. The kid's school has had many fundraiser events and has already raised $2000! Trent is on the student council and has been pretty involved in everything.

and so now we will enjoy our last 2 months of Tokyo. The weather is perfect and we are outside every chance we get. which leads us to our most recent exciting news...

We're moving to Seattle!!

Ryan has accepted a job with Deloitte and Touche in the Seattle office and we're super excited!!! we just told the kids this weekend and they were happy. we're excited to be in the West, closer to our families and looking forward to this new adventure. if anyone has any advice or happy things to say about Seattle, let me know!!

7 comments:

Janice said...

Glad everything is going good for you guys and you can be back in your home and together as a family. What an experience! SEATTLE!! How exciting. I am sure that your parents are so happy. So much easier to visit.

Jessica said...

I am glad you guys are doing good. Seattle is so fun. At least as a tourist...

Michael Asay said...

Seattle's close to Portland. 'nuff said.

Lisa Brown said...

I love Seattle!! (Bummed that you didn't move to Denver, but I guess it will do.) Remember our awesome senior trip there? Ahh, memories :).

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

I'm soooooo excited! My Jill lives in Port Orchard & LOVES it. We visit Seattle often (it's one of our favorite destination cities) so hopefully we can get together when we visit next? If you need some info about the area, just call or email her & she can help. :)

Megan Jo Eddie said...

YEAHHHHH!!!! I love Seattle. I have three family members there and we go up to visit once a year. I'm so glad I'll still get to visit you! You have to make a trip to the San Juan Islands sometime. You ferry your car across on see the beautiful Island. We just had a family reunion there. You'll love it.

The Greg and Lauralee Angell Family said...

See if you can fly through Atlanta on the way home. :)