Thursday, May 29, 2008

Stupid art...follow up

Okay, usually I don't post. I leave that to Jill. She puts up the pretty pictures of Japan, or the cute pictures (yes, I am biased) of the kids. And she does a good job with it. But in this case, I don't think she did justice to discussing the stupid art on display in Mori Tower.

Somebody decided to literally saw through an adult cow. Each half is encased and displayed. You can walk in-between the two "pieces" and see the insides of the cow. That's fine. I think it could be very educational...and would be great to have in a science classroom. But in an art museum? Is this art? I say no.

Then there was a room. Yep, a room. Isn't that amazing. Seriously, there was nothing in the room, although the lights on the ceiling turned on and off every few seconds. Okay. The "author" of this ingenious work droned on and on about how he wanted to create the feeling of whatever when you turn on the lights in a room...or something like that. Whatever dude.

Don't get me wrong. I think there is something to be said for creative art. And, I'm even okay with John Cage's 4' 33", where the only music (sound) heard is the unintended sounds (coughing, rustling of papers, fidgeting of the audience). Okay, I get it. There is something to be said for that.

And of course, fine art. Paintings/sculptures by Da Vinci, Monet, etc., Symphonies/Concertos by Tchaikowsky, Wagner. I love it. But a real cow or an empty room? C'mon, that ain't art. Don't waste my time...especially if it means I'm not going to get to go to the outdoor observatory on top of the building because I'm 10 minutes too late...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Seriously? A cow? Cut in half? I have to agree with you on that one. Not art. If anything, it's a little inhumane. Sorry that it turned out so bad.

Mark said...

Gross- sawed in half cows? You guys do cool stuff over there- see you this summer! Though I don't think they'll have sawed in half cows at the cabin!

Lisa Brown said...

I am still laughing. i am with you Ryan - a cow cut in half and an empty room are NOT art. They are crazy people trying to make some money by tricking people into thinking it is art :).

Birding is Fun! said...

Wierd stuff! I suppose if art is defined as a reflection of some aspect of humanity than anything could pass as "art'. Some chick at an Ivy League school wanted her abortion to be part of an art display. Revolting!

Anonymous said...

The Tovar family says Hmmm....Enough said.