Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hakone

I know I recently posted about how we never go anywhere anymore...but we had a three day weekend and also realized that last weekend was our ONLY free weekend from now till December so we decided to go to Hakone for 2 days. We had a great time! Lake Ashi--as seen from our cable car riding up the mountain.
We took the train down. "The blue one," also called the super express, is a new romance car that just started running about 6 months ago and we frequently see it passing through our closest train station. Trent was very happy.
tori gate on the lake
pirate boat that takes you from one side of the lake to the other. (about 40 minutes). It was fun, but we have no idea why the pirate themed boat. Maybe just for the tourists??

Mount Fuji!! Day 1 was cloudy and we couldn't see Fuji (or as the Japanese call it, Fuji-san) but Day 2 was a little clearer. Not as clear as the brochure pictures, but we could at least see it.
I love this picture of the kids with Fuji in the background.
Squid on a stick anyone? Everybody tried it (except for me!) and said it was very chewy. Nobody wanted more than one bite, so Ryan ended up eating the entire thing. gross!
Jacob especially did not like the squid.

7 comments:

Shelley said...

It looks like you had such a great time. I think getting out of the city every now and then is essential to maintain mental stability! I'm glad you had fun.

Lisa Brown said...

What a great trip. And Mount Fugi looks beautiful :). I wouldn't have tried the squid either - just looking at the pictures made my stomach turn. I am so not brave when it comes to food :).

Wishes and Books said...

I love that last picture! Priceless!

Hillary said...

What a fun trip! I can't believe you got the kids to try squid, especially Jacob! I can't even get Blake to eat cold cereal! So glad you captured that memory. BTW, your quilt is looking beautiful!

Damon said...

I love reading about all your neat trips!

Damon said...

Above- that was actually Sybrina on Damon's acct :)

Scott Fam Dam said...

You guys are doing so much! So adventurous! Whenever I look at your blog I feel full of regrets! We didn't do enough while we were there. I guess in a year, and with a new baby you can't quite get everything out of the experience! You guys are so great!