Wednesday, April 16, 2008

wan wan, or woof woof?

Going along with my dog mania post--we recently visited Wan-Nyan World, AKA "doggy land." A doggy park with about 300 dogs to play with and take on walks. Although the kids lOVED it, I wouldn't really recommend this place to any of my Tokyo friends who read this blog. It smelled awful, was very loud because all of the barking and was a little sad to walk up and down the aisles of fenced in dogs. Kind of like the zoo, but just dogs. Interesting side note: within an hour after getting there, my eyes were red and itchy, I was sneezing and had a runny nose. Am I allergic to dogs? The kids were devastated when I said I thought I might be allergic because they have always wanted a dog and talk about how we're getting a dog when we move back to the US. Since Ryan is allergic to cats, I guess we're down to rabbits or hamsters for pet options.

The biggest decision for the kids was choosing which dog to walk. They each got to walk two dogs. They would walk up and down the cages looking at each dog. They took it so seriously and had a hard time choosing.

Something else I had never thought about was animal sounds in a different language. As Emily put it, "woof woof is the sound a dog makes. Why should it change in another language?" But in Japanese "woof, woof" translates to "wan, wan" and "meow, meow" is "nyan, nyan." interesting!

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

i hadn't thought about the smell, but I can imagine. Lily would love a place like that, especially because Kevin and I will never cave and let her get a dog.