Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Estonia

Facts about Estonia: used to be part of the Soviet Union until 1991. About 25% of the people are Russian, the rest Estonian. They don't like each other.

We started off our trip in Estonia. Flew into Tallinn, the capitol and walked off the plane to see Matthew and Maris holding up a Tere Tere sign. We all started laughing because Tere Tere means hello in Estonian. Every time my brother Matthew comes home to America, my mom meets him at the airport holding up a Tere Tere sign. so they decided to do the same for us!
We drove across the country, about 2.5 hours, to Tartu, southeast (the red dot on the map) which is where Matthew has been living. Both Matthew and Maris are students at the University of Tartu. My brother is getting his masters and will graduate in June. Tartu is a small (100,000 people) cute, college town. We got to see his school, apartment etc.. in Tartu we also:

Went to church. There is a small branch in Tartu.

Saw some of the University of Tartu--isn't this painting on the side of the building so cool?

We played in the snow! our kids have never lived by snow so they were in heaven. I loved this pic of my sister Lynne. isn't she pretty? she's a senior and just got into BYU!
It was SO cold. and I'm from Idaho!! and I still thought it was freezing. Estonia just had their worst winter in 20 years. I don't think I could have made it back in January if I was freezing in March.

Stayed in a really cool hotel that housed the Russian military till 1992. Each room had their own individual sauna, which we loved because it was so cold.
Went out to dinner to a Russian restaurant with some of Maris's family. We all tried the borscht. I thought it was okay. but the kids didn't like it.
After 3 days, we drove back to Tallinn. In Tallinn we:
explored Old Town. Winding, cobbled streets, dating back to the 13th century. little shops,
courtyards, spired churches. We LOVED it.


We took a tour of Rakvere Castle, where we got to wear cute medevial tunics, and the kids got to make their own gunpowder, and then got to blow it up.




Visted Alexander Nevsky Cathedral (russian) it was so beautiful inside.

Stayed in a hotel that had an adjoining indoor water park. This was the kids favorite part and we visited the water slides every morning and night. Jake still talks about the water slides every day!

Thanks Matthew for showing us Estonia! Now I understand a little more why you love it so much! We had a great time. Now, on to Finland and a wedding!!

7 comments:

Ehales said...

So neat!! I love the pictures, keep 'em coming. You guys look great

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

Tallin, Estonia was one of our favorite stops when we did a Baltic Cruise a few years back. Looks like you had a great time.

Shelley said...

What fun. I love the pictures; especially the one of you and Jake. I think you should post a few more!!

Tabitha said...

Wow, those are beautiful pics! I can't believe your sister is all grown up. That was a beautiful pic of her. I love the one in your brown coat and black hat of you. Beautiful, beautiful pics! Kelly lived in Finland for a year, so I am excited to see those pics too.

kelly ferg said...

Wow! My mouth is still open of how beautiful a country that is. I am so jealous of your travels, but I will live a full life through your blog. Thanks for sharing, I love it. BTW you are just as beautiful as your little sister.

Lisa Brown said...

So amazing!!! i want to go there, but i am with you that i could do without the cold :). And when did Lynne grow up?? She really is gorgeous. And so are you - I love the one of you in your black hat and skarf - so pretty :)

Janice said...

Love the pictures and can't wait to see more. I bet Matthew just loved having everyone there and being able to show you all around the country that he loves so much.