Monday, February 22, 2010

my tea box

a few weeks ago I took a class with my good friends Ginny and Jennifer to learn how to make a washi paper covered tea box. Imagine a cross between wall papering and gift wrapping. What exactly is a tea box? They are wooden boxes that come in various sizes, lined with sheets of tin to keep tea dry and fresh. Of course now a days, people use them for just about anything, they are so beautiful! I've seen the large size (the one I made) used as a toy box, coffee table, end table or Japanese hope chest.

This box took WAY more work than I thought it would. the large sized box takes approximately 8 hours of measuring, cutting and gluing. It dries overnight. Then you apply many coats of lacquor. (I did 8 coats) which took me about a day. But it was all worth it!!


Below is Ginny, getting ready to start.

and I always love to see all the different washi papers...so here is a slide show from my class. keep in mind they are all half-done, but you get the point.



7 comments:

Shelley said...

Jill, It's gorgeous!! I really love it and I love the paper you chose. I want to do one!

Megan Jo Eddie said...

I love this! I wish I could be there with you to see all those amazing papers. It makes me want to be creative and make something. By the way- this is a beautiful picture of you.

Jessica said...

That is so Beautiful! Great job!

Hillary said...

Nice work Jill! It looks amazing!

Nicole said...

so pretty! good job jill!

Lisa Brown said...

That is so pretty! You are doing so many awesome things there!!

Comarsh Crew said...

Wow Jill, that is beautiful. That took a lot of work, but it sure was worth it. So what do you plan on using it for? You look great in your picture too!