Monday, February 2, 2009

kimonos--not as comfortable as they look.

Saturday we had a really fun activity for the primary kids in our ward. a New Years party! Yes, a little late...but so many Americans go out of town for the holidays, this was when it worked best. My good friend, Haruyo (second from the left) organized it. We had the kids rotate through 5 different games/activities that Japanese kids play during the New Years holiday. Emily and Trent loved it. I loved that Haruyo dressed us all up in kimonos, which was no small feat.

It took about 20 minutes (per person!) to tie, pull, wrap and add layer after layer after layer. First, I was wrapped tight like a mummy, in what seemed like white gauze. Haruyo said the Japanese women don't like to see any curves--so hips, chest etc. were all wrapped as tight as possible. by the end, I could barely breathe and walk. I have a whole new appreciation for the Japanese women. But it was so much fun. Thanks Haruyo!!
anyone looking for a new recipe?? I found this mock sushi recipe off of family fun. They were a hit!

2 comments:

Megan Jo Eddie said...

I would love the receipe. Oh, and Emily's school project on power point!!! - that's amazing. I can't even do power point. I have so much to learn. You also look great in the kimono. Do you have one of your own?

Stocker Family said...

It sure was fun. Sorry for dressing you too tight. I'll have to be a little more careful on these things. You look so good in blue kimono. You are almost Japanese, just a wrong hair color. :-)