Thursday, March 27, 2008

What is an onsen?

Saturday we're going to our first onsen! Definitely a unique Japan experience. So before we go, I thought I'd do a post explaining what I've learned so far about onsens. Onsen is a term for hot springs, and since Japan is still volcanically active, there are thousands of onsens all throughout Japan. They are outdoor and indoor, usually in a beautiful nature setting. But here's the shocker--swimsuits are not allowed! There are separate male and female pools (thank goodness!) and children under the age of 7 can pick which parent they want to go with. When I first heard that you have to go in naked, I was shocked...horrified! Who would do that? How embarrassing! Now, after a year in Japan and hearing everyone always talk about their onsen trips, I just listen with amusement. It's interesting. Am I the only one who had no idea about onsen rules?

First, the Japanese talk about "naked communion," how it's easier to communicate, get to know each other and break down the barriers when you are soaking. I don't see why I can't do that while wearing a swimsuit, but whatever! Also, the hot water is believed to have healing powers coming from the mineral content. A particular onsen may feature several different baths, each with water with a different mineral composition.

Foreigners new to Japan, like myself, seem to be the only people who are uncomfortable with onsens. Everybody does it!! Going to an onsen on the weekend is very popular. Even my Relief Society (women's church group) has occasional onsen outings and they all get in together! To be fair, they go to an apparently fabulous onsen that offers back massages plus a soak in the onsen. I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable going to an onsen...especially with a group of church friends, but I've heard the idea grows on you. Maybe a few more years and I'll be ready...

This Saturday we will be going to a FAMILY onsen! Water slides, hot tubs, and best of all, swim suits allowed! I'm sure it's probably going to be "touristy," but perfect for people like me who want an onsen experience, but are not ready for the real thing. We'll keep you posted!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

you crack me up! hope that your experience is a positive one. what neat cultural adventures you are all having...a bit jealous here in idaho!

It's all about the "Crew" said...

Okay...so up until the last paragraph, I was thinking of commenting:

"Are you posting pictures of your experience?"

Glad to hear you have found one that allows swimsuits! I would totally be the same way. Boy! I guess Western Civilization really has changed a lot compared to the good old days of public baths and "not so old" day onsens. :) I truly had no idea things like that existed anymore. Crazy!

Melinda said...

Wow, how about an onsen enrichment night? Can you imagine doing that in our Parkview ward? Would we ever look at each other the same again, or would we forever avoid eye contact after that? The onsen you are going to sounds great! Can't wait to see the pictures (I guess at a real onsen you won't be taking pictures!!).

Anonymous said...

Onsen isn't a nudest-camp or skinny-dipping. they don't allow your suits and towels for the sanitary reason. Japanese people don't go there for the thrill of being naked in the public. Onsen is the sacred place with the healthy purpose. Preserving the way it has been for thousand years in some cases is only possible in highly moral society. In some hot spring in US, need the sign saying "no sex allowed". I hear some American friend is interesting in Onsen only to go to the non-agenda bath.