Thursday, January 3, 2008

going to the movies

Since the purpose of my blog is to let you know what life in Tokyo is like, I thought I'd do an entry on movie theaters. Last night Ryan and I went to the movies for the first time since we've been here. We saw I Am Legend. Ryan liked it. It was a little too scary for me. You are encouraged to buy your tickets ahead of time online. Not just because the movie could be sold out, but because when you buy your tickets online you actually get to pick the seats you want to sit in--and they will be reserved for you. So if you show up at the theater to buy tickets, all the good seats will already be reserved. We were confused when we bought out tickets online because one of the options said "marriage 50 discount" So we bought those tickets. Does that mean it you're married you get a 50% discount? No, that would be too good to be true. We found out later it means if your married and over the age of 50 you get the discount. So when we got to the theater we had to pay the rest of our ticket fare. The ticket lady was laughing at our mistake. By the way, one movie ticket here is 1800 yen, about $17! One of the reasons why we've lived here almost a year and not been to a movie until now.

I was expecting to see Japanese food at the concessions stands, but to my surprise, popcorn and soda! yeah! It was a new theater, up in Roppongi Hills, (for the few of you reading who are familiar with Tokyo). I felt like I had walked into a space ship when we entered. Interesting architecture, that's for sure. Movies are not as popular here like they are in the US. Back home, if you want to hang out on the weekends, you would go to a movie. Here, they go to karaoke. Tokyo gets a few of the big American movies. Right now there are two playing. I Am Legend, and National Treasure. They have Japanese subtitles. On the weekends the theater is open 24 hours. 3 am movie anyone?

And the best part of the night--we discovered a Cold Stone in the Roppongi Hills shopping complex. A night out at the movies and ice cream--it almost felt just like home!

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

That is crazy expensive, but I think what i would have expected. Too bad you didn't see National Treasure - it looks so good :). Kevin told me that I am Legend would be way too scary for me - he he! Glad you had a fun night out though!