These dolls are handmade from wood, have a simple trunk and an enlarged head with a few thin, painted lines to define the face. One characteristic of Kokeshi dolls is their lack of arms or legs. Also, the wood is left outdoors to season for one to five years before it can be used. There are many sizes and kinds of dolls. I was very excited to find it in a nativity set.
Friday, December 28, 2007
Kokeshi Dolls
This Christmas my favorite present was a Kokeshi doll Japanese nativity set. I love it! And it was even delivered on Christmas day. I guess that's one good thing about December 25th not being a holiday here. Here are my pictures!



These dolls are handmade from wood, have a simple trunk and an enlarged head with a few thin, painted lines to define the face. One characteristic of Kokeshi dolls is their lack of arms or legs. Also, the wood is left outdoors to season for one to five years before it can be used. There are many sizes and kinds of dolls. I was very excited to find it in a nativity set.
These dolls are handmade from wood, have a simple trunk and an enlarged head with a few thin, painted lines to define the face. One characteristic of Kokeshi dolls is their lack of arms or legs. Also, the wood is left outdoors to season for one to five years before it can be used. There are many sizes and kinds of dolls. I was very excited to find it in a nativity set.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Those are so cute! I love nativity scenes! You are smart to get one while you are there!
I love those! How much fun, and what a great thing for you to have to always remember your time in Japan.
I wanted to buy it, I had gathered the money but you bought it before :°( i hate you :°°°(
Too funny! I was searching online for a kokeshi nativity set and your blog popped up... I thought, " wonder if this is the same Jill Angell I know?" and then I saw your picture to confirm it! What a SMALL SMALL world we ex-pats live in :). Cheers.
Tracey Ostlund
Post a Comment