Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Happy fall!

I realized I haven't really posted as much as usual this past month. Nothing too exciting has happened--but here are a few random things that have been going on with us.

Our best friends moved! Tyler and Emma--our next door neighbors and the kids' best friends moved about 40 minutes away to be closer to their school...and Emily and Trent are devastated. They have been making phone calls and sending letters but it's just not the same. The night before the movers came all four kids had a sleepover next door. Trent decided to come back home at about 9 pm, but Emily stayed the night. Her first sleepover!



In the morning, Tyler and Emma played at our house while the movers packed up their stuff. I had assumed that I would make breakfast for all the kids in the morning, but just as I finished making pancakes, Mika--the mom--brought over breakfast and all the kids who had just woken up because the movers had come a little early. She had brought a traditional Japanese breakfast--rice balls. I laughed as we all sat down to our breakfast of rice balls and pancakes, noticing that the neighbor kids did not want any pancakes, just rice balls.

The kids and I survived our first week alone while Ryan had training meetings in Chicago. He came back with Halloween costumes, tons of food (I sent a list with him) and the first two seasons of The Office, a show I had never heard of before, but is hilarious! We have been watching a few episodes a night, after the kids go to bed.

Emily started taking piano lessons from Matsuda Seisei about three weeks ago. I have been teaching her for the past year and a half, and it wasn't going as well as I wanted. It's hard to draw the line between parent and teacher. It's going better already!



Driving tip: I learned that when you switch lanes in heavy traffic, it's polite to thank the person who let you in by flashing your hazard lights. Interesting...

Also--I have a new blogging background. My friend Melinda introduced me to a website with free blog backgrounds. Tons of cute ones...so if you use blogspot.com, check it out. matiekay.blogspot.com

1 comment:

It's all about the "Crew" said...

Wow! She looks so grown up! I think it is great you have her in lessons! Hope she continues!