Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My plan backfired!!

Today I got my first speeding ticket. I had just left ASIJ, coming home from the 3 grade iditarod dog races. (post coming soon about that) when I saw a motorcycle cop flashing his lights behind me. My mind was racing. Don't panic--stick to the plan. I have heard a few stories about foreign women getting pulled over. you start crying, and since the cop only speaks Japanese and you can't communicate, he'll let you go. This has seriously happened before to other women. He walked up to my car and started speaking to me in perfect English!! Plus, the tears just weren't coming. darn it! so I ended up getting a 18,000 yen ticket. about $180 for going 65 km in a 40 km zone. whoops! And he even fingerprinted me!! I felt like a criminal. But this is what I was thankful for:
  • That this happened now that I have a drivers license. I was driving illegally for a year, and just got my license a few months ago.
  • I was carrying my alien registration card with me. I've gotten in the habit of leaving it at home, but luckily put it in my wallet a few days ago. He asked me for both my license and registration card. Foreigners are required by law to always have it with you at all times.
  • Him speaking English really made it so much easier and me less nervous.

The silver lining of the day was that later on, I got my quilt back! I made this back in the fall, and sent it out to be quilted in January. I absolutely LOVE it!! and am now in need of navy/red pillow throws. If anyone sees anything you think will work with this quilt, let me know which store. I'll be in the states soon. okay, not for 4 more months, but it feels like soon.


5 comments:

Jenny Young said...

Ouch, that is painful!! I am going to have to watch out. Your quilt looks great. Did she quilt a bamboo like pattern? I can't quite tell from the picture.

kelly ferg said...

Hilarious! Looks like you had your back with the other things that fell into the right place. your quilt is beautiful. I bet the ladies in Japan have never seen such great work.

Janice said...

That is too bad about the ticket,$180. WOW! They are serious about their tickets. It is good that you could think of positive things about the situation, things can always be worse. I love the quilt. It is beautiful!

Lisa Brown said...

Jill speeding? Never. He he! Sorry about the ticket though. And I LOVE the quilt! So pretty!

Tabitha and Kelly said...

Oh wow! I am sorry to hear about your ticket, but I love that you had a bright side and found things to be thankful for anyway. :) I love your quilt! That is beautiful!