I have been driving illegally for the past 9 months, since my international driver's license expired last January. Ryan promptly got his Japanese driver's license last January. I, however, have been stalling. My reasons being mostly fear--I have heard horror stories about foreigner's being failed over and over again on the driving tests--and inconvenience. The driver's license place takes about an hour to get to and you are told to expect to wait in multiple lines for up to a few hours. What in the world am I supposed to do with Jacob during this time??
I have finally decided (much to the relief of Ryan) that it's time to get a license. Today I went with my friend Ginny and her husband Nate (also needing licenses) to start the process by putting in my application and taking the written test. I passed! And it was so nice to have friends help me find the place and watch Jacob while I took my test and help entertain him while we waited and waited...
next up--the driving test in 2 weeks. I'll keep you posted.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Yeah!! congratulations Jill. Glad you passed. Now as a passenger I won't be aiding and abetting a felon!! just kidding.
Hooray! Congratulations! I am one who can sympathize with putting off something like that. I waited till I was 21 to get my license. If I lived there, i would probably rely on public transportation and Damon to get me around! Way to go!
Okay, so that makes me nervous just thinking about it. No wonder you put it off. Good luck on your driving test. just don't drive like you did in high school - he he!
Wow, I haven't done a driving test since I got my license for the first time! I would be intimidated to do it here in the US, let alone another country. Congrats on passing the first step, and good luck on the driving test!
I was one of the few missionaries in my mission to get a drivers license in Argentina when I worked in the mission office as the financial secretary. It was a day long event to apply, but no tests had to be taken. The drivers in Argentina were so bad that they must have figured anyone from the states could at least do as well. They gave me a temporary license and told me to come back in six months for the actual one, but I never went back for it. Who knows...they could still be processing it.
Oh Jill, you naughty girl! J/K. I'm still driving around with my Washington license. I always meant to get a MN one, but now I figure I'll just wait until we move to Ohio. Good luck with the driving portion. Do they have an English interpreter?
I'm so glad that you passed; hopefully I'll have the same experience when the time comes.
Good luck with the driving test!!! I think I would be so nervous. I only damaged our car three times in the year that we were there! Needless to say, I probably wouldn't pass! thanks for the rocket idea, the kids have no idea what they want this year. So I am in need of ideas!
Post a Comment