Thursday, July 5, 2007

Fourth of July...fizzled out

What an interesting thing to celebrate July 4th in another country...Because that's all it is-the fourth day in July, just another day. I thought I'd see or hear about something, but nothing! One of Ryan's colleagues, from England, told him, "Happy Thanksgiving!" We had planned to have Ryan take the day off from work and go to Disney Sea--similar to California Adventure, it's Disneyland's adjacent theme park. But too much stuff was going on at work, and it rained all day. Two good reasons not to go. So I ended up taking the kids to Harajuku for a quick shopping trip. (see link and explanation below) lunch at McDonald's--because what's more American than McDonald's? And then a visit to Meji Shrine, a famous shrine just ten minutes from our home, and for some reason we just haven't seen it yet. So we went...in the rain. And instead of fireworks, glow sticks for the kids. Pretty pathetic and a little depressing as it was raining and I kept thinking about everyone back home probably swimming and BBQing. I thought about buying a watermelon, but just couldn't bring myself to pay the $20 for one. And also for corn on the cob--$3 an ear. I think next year we should try to be in the US for July 4th.

I have added a new friend to my blog list. Amanda Stradling is here with her husband for the summer while he is on a BYU internship with the American Embassy. An English major--she gives vivid descriptions of Tokyo that will make you feel like you're right there and she also has some interesting/funny experiences that will shed some light on experiencing Tokyo with no kids. It's a totally different city! Below is the link to her Harajuku experience, which was a little different from mine. I tell the kids not to stare at any weird people and then make a bee line for the store I need, concentrating on trying not to ram the person in front of me with my stroller!




Entrance to Meiji Shrine




sign next to the prayer tree outside the shrine




Emily next to all the tablets with prayers written on them



This guy wanted his picture taken with the kids in front of the hand cleansing area.

1 comment:

Amanda+Jonathan said...

Hi Jill,

Sorry about Disney Land not working out. Looks like you had fun in Harajuku. I've been trying to call you. I even stopped by your apartment today, but no luck. You must have been out having a fantastic time. Saturday is good for us, as long as it is good for you. I really want to bring something to contribute, so let me know what you would like me to make. Thanks.