Life in Japan always keeps you on your toes. Yesterday we had two earthquakes, both up north and one with several aftershocks. We have had several since moving here, but these have been the biggest. The earthquakes were fairly big and caused a lot of damage, but luckily in Tokyo, everything just rattled around, not too big of a deal. Actually, I have yet to feel an earthquake here, but Ryan felt the first earthquake and one of it's aftershocks later in the middle of the night. I think our apartment must be in a good spot or on a good angle or something, because other people close by really felt it hard--and us not so much. Although Emily woke up the morning after the big aftershock during the night and said, "I dreamed there was an earthquake last night." I didn't have the heart to tell her it was real because I didn't want to scare her.
Also, we almost had a typhoon this past weekend. This is the rainy season here. It seems like it has rained almost every day for the last month. A typhoon hit southern Japan on Friday and we had warnings all weekend that it was heading for Tokyo. People were preparing for the blow--But after two days of pouring rain, it turned back towards the sea right before it was to hit Tokyo. But not even a typhoon warning could stop us from our date night--dinner at Outback Steakhouse on Saturday. We even ordered the typhoon bloom (the blooming onion in the US) in honor of the weather.
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I thought of you when I watched the news yesterday, and am so glad you are safe!!!
That's so funny that Emily thought it was a dream! I can totally see her describing it to you when she woke up. She's so expressive!
Post a Comment