Thursday, July 26, 2007

Back in the USA

Wow, it feels great to be back! When I started talking about this blog, Ryan said not to write about our summer in the U.S. because our blog is supposed to be about our life in Japan. But I am arguing that coming home in the summers is part of our international experience. It helps us appreciate things better both in Japan and the USA.

When we first arrived in San Franciso, Ryan said, "The people here are so tall!". I kept looking out the airport windows, amazed by all the trees. It was just so beautiful! In Tokyo, it's just cement and more cement. (except in the parks). Our first night here, we couldn't get over how big and beautiful the sky was. Granted we were in Spanish Fork, but I will never take for granted again being able to look all around me and see the sky stretch out as far as I can see in the horizon, instead of looking up and seeing just a tiny piece of the sky between two tall buildings. We made a quick stop at the Kmart down the street from Ryan's parents our first night here to pick up extra baby food etc. It was the greatest thing--to wander up and down aisles wide enough to actually fit my stroller, hear English over the loudspeakers, carry on a conversation with the check out girl and read all the labels.

On the flip side...I never noticed how much food there is everywhere here! Fast food left and right, anywhere you go there's food right there in your face. We forgot how huge the portions here are and how life seems to revolve around food. and driving in your car. which is actually a nice break from all the walking in Tokyo, but after a huge fast food lunch and driving in your car for what seems like all day, I feel gross! There's a reason I lost 10 pounds my first month in Tokyo. Which I probably will put back on these next 5 weeks, and then lose again when I get back to Japan.

This blog is longer than I wanted it to be, so I'll just say that the kids did amazingly well on our 9 1/2 hr. flight to San Francisco, and then on to Salt Lake. We will be in the US for 5 weeks, Ryan just for the first 2 and then he'll go back to work and I will fly home with the kids alone. I probably not blog again till I'm back in Tokyo. So everyone put down your fast food and look around at all the beautiful things around you, like sky and trees. Also, wish me luck on my flight back with the kids..I'm going to need it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Danielle said...

Have a great time back in the US! Thanks for you advice about overseas living, you don't know how much we appreciate it!

Hillary said...

Glad to have you back! Looking forward to our Disney trip-- maybe you'll find some regular popcorn this time :-) Congrats on a happy flight! Quite an accomplishment with 3 kiddos!

Lisa Brown said...

It was so fun to see you!

It was strange enough for us going from the South to the West, I can imagine how much more strange the transition was for you :).

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you all. Hope you're getting back to normal in Japan now. You're wonderwoman for doing all those flights!