Friday, May 4, 2007

Golden Week Adventures

We have just finished Golden Week here in Japan—that’s what they call the first week in May, because there are 4 little holidays all in one week. Emily got one day off from school, and Ryan three days off of work.

The week started off with Ryan watching the kids so I could get my highlights done. I went to a place someone had recommended, but got there and figured out no one spoke much English. I was in a panic. My hairdresser couldn’t understand what I wanted. He kept saying “speak slowly,” which meant he didn’t understand me. He left three times to go consult with someone else. I just kept saying, “I like my color. Keep my color. Just fix the roots.” I was so worried I would end up with a different color of hair. Finally, they went and found someone who spoke English, and she came in and translated for me. My hair turned out fine and it was actually quite fun—Japanese hair places really take their time and do scalp/neck massages. It felt great and feels even better to know that I am still a blonde.

On Thursday, we went to a warehouse that sells Japanese dishes cheap! I have been looking forward to going since we moved here, it’s just been hard to find the right time because it’s about an hour south of Tokyo. I got the most beautiful set of dishes that I absolutely love!!!! Then there was a little accident. I had two bags of dishes hanging from my stroller handle bars. I let go of the stroller to unlock the door, forgetting about the dishes, and the stroller fell back, breaking three bowls. I was so sad and mad at myself, but some day I’ll go back again…






We ended the week with Children’s Day, which used to be called Boy’s Day, but they recently changed the name. What a great idea to have a day to celebrate your children. Even McDonald’s had half price McFlurry’s. Emily has been learning Children’s Day songs at school. The really big fish called carp or koi is the symbol for boys. I read that since the carp is recognized for its strength in swimming against the current, parents hope their boys will also have that same strength and determination. People fly carp streamers from their rooftops or flagpoles. A few months ago, I found a beautiful, hand painted carp, that I put above Jacob’s crib. I thought it would be the perfect thing for the boys’ bedroom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So much fun! I'm so glad your hair adventure turned out so well :). That would be very scary if they couldn't understand you - it's hard enough to get them to do exactly what you want when they CAN speak English.

ps. Sorry about your dishes!!