Monday, July 18, 2011

summer, where are you?

well, the calendar says third week of July, but it's still cold and rainy every day here! with temps in the 60's. we sure hope summer finds us soon. in the meantime, here's what we've been up to:

Sunday afternoon craft: melted crayon on sandpaper. tips: push really hard with the crayon. cover the entire sandpaper. iron for 20 seconds, with a cloth in between. looks really cool! the kids made these for my father in law, who had hip replacement surgery this week.


went for a walk on the trails behind our house and discovered this pond about 15 minutes away. fun to feed the ducks!









discovered a berry farm about 20 minutes away! we picked 15 pounds of strawberries and made 5 batches of jam. we'll be back soon for raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.










the kids were hard workers and thought it was really fun. this was our first time berry picking.




bought Trent his very own ripstick! He has really mastered this thing now. and can go up and down our street, turn around, go up and down curbs etc.




also bought Jake his own 2 wheeled scooter. he has also really mastered this since moving here. has great balance on one leg and loves to race down the hill. He's really fast! now he scooters back and forth to swimming lessons.






also went to the dentist and discovered the kids had multiple cavities! boo! frequent trips to the dentist are coming up in August. (and a trip to the orthodonist as well!) Luckily, we love our new dentist. He's also our bishop!


and I mowed the lawn for the first time ever in my entire life! sorry, no pics of this one. :) can you believe it? we've always lived in an apartment until now. and growing up I always wanted to try out the riding lawn mower, but my parents said, "girls don't mow lawns. this is why you have 3 brothers" so I never did. of course, after my 3 brothers left home, they quickly changed their minds and my youngest sister Lynne has been the official lawn mower for years. anyways, it was actually pretty fun!! and I was proud of myself.

5 comments:

Ryan said...

wow, those strawberries don't look very good...hope the jam tastes better than the berries look. :)

Jill said...

yes, they warned me that in Washington, the berries aren't much to look at, but they taste great.

Michael Asay said...

Even though we're having a very mild summer, it's still kind of late for strawberries. Ryan should know: we used to pick strawberries for money (and even got kicked off a farm once for being idiotic teenagers).

The Greg and Lauralee Angell Family said...

Go Jill! I'm proud of how productive you are with Ryan gone. I don't do the "single mom" thing very well. I usually shut down and mope until he's home. :)

And someday, your family will need to come strawberry picking in Georgia! I think the strawberries there need more sun! I'm glad the jam turned out.

Lisa Brown said...

Ahh, you are going to have to get used to gloomy, aren't you? Well, if you ever need sunshine, come visit me. We have an average of 300 sunny days a year, and it is very sunny at 7000 feet.