Friday, February 4, 2011

winter projects

So is it just me, or has January been totally boring?! It's too cold to go outside and we've been trying to exercise more and eat healthy to lose those few extra pounds that crept up during Christmas. blah. So to distract myself from the urge to go make chocolate chip cookies, I've been working on 2 projects these past few weeks.

1. Emily's quilt. The top is finally done! I used the sticks and stones pattern. and this fabric below is what Emily picked as the fabric she HAD to have, so this was the base, and I worked off these colors. I also tried to stay away from black and use the lighter golds b/c I wanted it to be more juvenile--a quilt for an 11 year old little girl. and ended up with this! Do you love it? I love it. still figuring out the back and binding.


and after all was said and done, Emily said this pink fabric is her favorite square.
phew! I am now officially done with my goal to make each of my children a Japanese quilt. and finished with a few months to spare, I might add. which left me with more time to finish...
2. a blue and white quilt, out of yukata fabric. this had taken me months to collect all the fabric, and I used a disappearing 9 patch pattern. which was SO easy.

Step one: make a 9 patch. any size. mine are 12 inch each, so 36 inch total


Step two: cut it in half horizontally and vertically, making 4 squares.


Step 3: randomly rotate the squares. you can play around with different patterns.

Step 4: you could make a few more identical 9 patches, but I had so many different fabrics, I made 3 different 9 patches, and scrambled them all together to make this! It's still not sewn together.It's sitting on my living room floor for me to study and rearrange a bit more till it's perfect. I love how it looks so jumbled up but really was so simple to do.



6 comments:

The Greg and Lauralee Angell Family said...

Ok Jill, how much would you charge to make me a quilt? I love the kimono quilt, and the one you make for Emily. I assume the kimono quilt was a wall hanging? And Emily's quilt is to snuggle into? I'd take one of each :) You could do this on the side to make money!

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS! I love them both...I will have to experiment with that disappearing 9 pattern - it looks interesting & complicated when it's done, but your tutorial made it look so simple that maybe even I can do it? MAYBE! :)

Jessica said...

I love your quilts. I have been searching for a good pattern for a boy and I think I am going to use your 9 square. Thanks so much for sharing. I love it!

Unknown said...

Jill these are so amazing!

Sybrina said...

Cool! thanks for sharing the technique! I need to learn to do more than simple block quilts!

Lisa Brown said...

I love them!! You did a fantastic job. And how awesome that all your kids will have a Japanese quilt to remember your time there :).