Monday, November 9, 2009

a tween party

When Emily said she wanted a tie dye themed party I'll admit, I was not thrilled. But this is the perfect age for tie dying. (she'll be 10 tomorrow!!) It was a blast! The girls really put a lot of thought into their designs and rubber band placement. Ryan and I agreed that this was one of our better birthday parties we've thrown. And it was also a plus that Ryan was in charge of all the tie dying in the kitchen. He even did all the clean up!

soaking our shirts. We had three colors to choose from. blue, purple and pink
the finished products! the marble pattern was the most popular.

I'm a little embarrassed to let my mom see this cake. I am NOT a cake decorator, although I'd love to someday take classes at Michaels. In theory, it was a great cake. I read online that if you swirled around a few drops of food coloring it would look like tie dye. not true. it ended up looking like brown mush. yuck! but Emily thought it was great. right before the party I thought I'd spruce up the sides with stars or something and couldn't find any of my frosting tips. (I only had 3 or 4) then I remembered that the last time I frosted something it was a disaster and I threw away all my tips in a rage, vowing to never frost again. Not the smartest thing I've ever done. so I had to settle for snipping off the corner of a plastic baggie and making little circles.

After the tie dying we made these clay mini magnet tees. I thought my example (the tee shirt in the middle) was darling, but the girls had other things in mind. sigh...not a single tiny tie dye tee was made. But there were plenty of stars, hearts and alphabet letters. They could have sat at the table for an hour doing this project. But I had to hurry them along b/c they had to bake for 30 minutes and I wanted to make sure each girl got to take hers home that day. After the party, Trent and Emily used up all the leftover clay making about 30 magnets!!

Jake and Trent loved making their shirts too!

4 comments:

Lisa Brown said...

So much fun! I love it :). Remember our chemistry tie-dyed shirts? And your cake was fine - don't compare yourself to your mom. That would be like me trying to compare my quilting to Kevin's mom - just not fair :). (I still remember the grand piano cake she made you one time - how can you compete with something like that??)

PS. I also dream about taking that cake decorating class at Michaels - it has been on my to-do list for years.

Julie said...

OH Jillers! Could we be roommates again for a week? You had me laughing to tears as I read through some of your last posts. I just loved them! Where'd you get Jake's dinosaur outfit? That was fantastic! And the onsen! Oh, I'm right there with you-- strangers-- sure! Friends? No thanks :) So glad Emily had a good party! Those shirts turned out adorable! I can't believe she's 10! Love you!

Janice said...

You always have the cutest birthday party ideas. Alli just had her 7th birthday and I stole an idea that you used for one of Emily's other parties - the baking party. We decorated aprons, made pizza's and they all got to decorate their own little birthday cakes. They all had a blast and said that it was the best b-day party they had been too! Thanks for the ideas.

Anonymous said...

They are very very nice!!!

I love this photograph <3

Regards,
Ornella