Saturday we visited Asakusa, a must see for anyone who visits Tokyo! Said to be the birthplace of Tokyo, we visited the Sensoji Temple and all the tiny traditional shops crowding the area. Before entering the temple, just outside, there are people wafting incense smoke toward their faces to prevent bad luck. I tried it with the kids, but Emily said it smelled gross and made her feel sick. It was a really cool place and definitely the place to buy souvenirs, but afterwards, I swore I would never take the kids there again—it was just too hard in the crowds. The best part of the day was finding a beautiful origami kimono girl and some fans to decorate Emily’s room with.
Standing in-front of Sensoji
Side view of temple
Nearby Pagoda
Did you think we could go without the candy?
Standing on a bridge over the Sumida River
This is a very famous sculpture on the top of the Asahi Beer building. No one seems to know why it is there, or what it really is. It has many nicknames. What would you call it?
4 comments:
I can't get over how grown-up Emily is!! Wow!
I remember getting sick from the insense at all the churches in Jerusalem, and I'll bet it was similar.
It sure looks like you are getting out there and having so much fun! (Oh, no comment on the sculpture thing . . . strange!)
Hi Jill! I got the link to your blog off of Lisa's. I haven't seen you forever, but maybe you remember me. Koreen and I were roommates in college (and Lisa and I were our freshman year too). We are in Utah... check out our blog! And enjoy your adventures in Japan-- what a cool adventure!
Terrah (DeGiulio) Anderson
Jill!! I think it has been about 10 years since we have seen each other, and I am so glad that I found your link on Lisa's blog! You have a beautiful family and it looks like you are doing so well. How exciting that you and your family are living in Japan! I would love to catch up with you and hear how you ended up there. E-mail me if you have a spare minute, drichert8@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon! Danielle (Silvers) Richert
Konichiwa! My name is Angela and I got your site off of Lisa's. How fun to see someone else living in Japan! Although we are actually down in Okinawa. I will have to check in on your site for ideas of what to see when we make it up to the mainland.
Post a Comment