Saturday, June 12, 2010

end of year stuff

School is out and the kids have had a ton of end of year stuff these past few weeks, so I'm going to lump it all together in one post. Here's how they finished up the year.

Sports Day: this was the first year I was able to go and help out. I was in charge of the big ball race. it was really fun.


Class project: Emily was so proud of her math project that she's been working on for the past month. They had to design a house with a $300,000 budget. Each square inch cost $100. lots of math was involved in drawing up the blueprints. They they had $30,000 for the interior. They got to use the internet to browse through IKEA and Amazon etc. for furnishings. Emily had wanted hardwood floors throughout the house, but then found out that carpet was cheaper, so had to compromise with half and half to make her budget. I think she learned a lot. She's also wearing a medal she earned through the 4th grade reading program.

Emily's field trip: I went with Emily's class to Meiji Shrine, which is just down the street from our house. They got to meet with a shinto priest (who spoke great English!) He gave them a powerpoint presentation all about Shintoism and Meiji shrine. I thought it was fascinating, but Emily was a completely bored. it was 1 1/2 hours long, which is a little too long for 10 year olds to sit still. Afterwards, we toured the shrine, prayed, and even got to go into the inside (forbidden to tourists) section. notice how Emily is a head taller than everyone in her class? she has always been so tall!
we were lucky enough to see a wedding processional.



a teacher and 2 students got to pray with the priests


School fundraiser--thought up and run by the student council, A.K.A. Emily!! She was very proud to have helped come up with what she thought was the greatest idea ever. taping the headmaster to the wall! The kids thought it was hilarious. and at 100 yen, ($1) a piece of tape, they raised quite a lot of money to donate to an orphanage. Mr. Carr was such a good sport.


Jacob's field trip: Jake's preschool class went on a picnic to Yoyogi Koen, a close by park.


they did this cute little mickey mouse dance

2 comments:

kelly ferg said...

I love reading your blog, plus your photos are beautiful. Looks like your kids are involved in great schools. Keep having a blast. We were talking about you the other day when McKayla babysat for you after you had a baby. She was telling me about the complete blowout the baby had. It was quite the story.

Lisa Brown said...

How fun! And I think it is so funny that you have a daughter who is the tallest, when you were always one of the smallest. I guess she got her height genes from Ryan :).